Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Solo Kicks Down 66

This last semester I took a night photography class. It was an advanced class so it was a lot of field shooting. One of the trips I planned was to the Salton Sea in southern California. We planned to go during a nice moon to get some nice moonlit landscapes with the mannequin I had just acquired. It was over the Thanksgiving break so we had plenty of time. As break grew nearer less and less people were able to make the trip. It was like an Agatha Christie novel. With a stubborn spirit I decided to make the trek alone. I loaded my mannequin, Harold, in the car and headed south on Hwy 95. I caught I40 west and decided to scout some spots on old Route 66. The old highway runs pretty much parallel with 40 for a long way. It was nice to have the total free time to stop when ever I wanted. As I worked my way southwest I went through Twenty Nine Palms. I was photographing a boat when Dan came up to me asking what I was up to. You have to love a neighbor looking out for one another. After we talked some photo talk, Dan figured out I was semi-harmless. I spent the next hour talking with Dan as he led me through his property scattered with old cars, military vehicles, and other assorted implements of destruction. A wonderful detour that I might not have gotten otherwise. I piled back in the car and bombed through Joshua Tree Forrest, Mecca then the Sea. Since I was shooting night stuff I went and scouted for a long time. Long enough to arrive to the spot I wanted to shoot with storm clouds in the sky. My moonlit landscape idea was toast and the wind was too crazy, even with a tripod. So I called it a night and grabbed a room at a motel. I woke up the next morning to rain. With one more night scheduled in Salton I decided to pack it in and admit defeat. Just for kicks I committed myself to take the Old Highway the whole way home, or as much of it as I could. The choice was a great one. For the next twelve hours I chased the clouds that the previous night ruined my moonlit landscape. After the storm the clouds had reduced in size and were perfect for scenic skies. I took some of my favorite shots I've ever shot on that trip and nothing went to plan. The trip was surprising and full of American wonder. I'm glad nothing worked out.


Amboy Roy's


Amboy School


Twenty Nine Palms Harbor


Dan's Frontyard, Twenty Nine Palms


Dan's Bulletnose, Twenty Nine Palms


Bombay Airstream, Salton Sea


Pamela's Beauty Salon


Dead Gas Station


Desert Market


Temple House

No comments: