Friday, February 17, 2012

Single Safari


I have an affection for single story motels. I like to stay in them whenever I travel. There is something I like about pulling my car to the door of my room. The rooms are generally small but comfortable. The outsides distinguish themselves with themed design and architecture. The signs, O those signs, that draw you in off the long road with promises of COLOR TV, free HBO, and recently free WIFI. Those signs are what I am addicted to. Each one is different and has it's own character. Hand made commercial creations lure me to photograph each and everyone. Most older towns have  a street with a stretch of these motels. In Denver it's Fairfax Ave. In Las Vegas it's Fremont St. and Boulder Highway. The Safari pictured here is on Fremont. It sits with a lot of other motels withering away in the desert winds waiting for someone to bring it back to it's former glory.

No comments: